Friday, January 25, 2008

Drive to Tahoe



Apparently the Friday before Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, is California Traffic Day. Everywhere we drove between San Francisco to Sacramento, there was a traffic jam.

Hour 1 was ok, because everyone was still awake.

It was at around hour 3 when everyone fell asleep (even my passenger side navigator, Anthony!) and I was stuck in traffic that I started to go a little stir crazy. keep in mind, I only had about 4 hours of sleep on a plane the night before. Thank goodness for hunger pains, and Denny's!!!

The last time we took a road trip to Maine (Anthony, Melissa, and I), we were craving Denny's like crazy, but ended up settling for iHOP.

We're at Denny's in Vacaville, CA - home of outlet shopping, fast food places, and Denny's! I ordered the meat lover's skillet (that's pronounced skill-ay...not really). To my surprise, Denny's has done away with the skillet and has just called it the Meat Lover's Breakfast (2 eggs over easy, 2 sausages, 2 slices of bacon, 2 pancakes, hash browns, and ham. Doesn't have that same ring to it. But ok. Anthony threw a curveball at me when he ordered a strawberry sprite.

Denny's serves strawberry sprites! That's Sprite with REAL STRAWBERRIES! And the best part is that you get free refills. There's nothing more delicious than a plate full of Denny's cholesterol and a glass of sprite mixed in with frozen strawberries. Always order your eggs with a raw yoke. Otherwise, the scrambled eggs are made from powder. YUCK! but for $12 how can you go wrong with Denny's. I even saw a few couples on dates there. Interesting choice.

Now with a full stomach, 3 hours of driving behind me, and 4 hours of sleep under my belt. I was ready to head into a food coma. "Kenny, you're driving!" I wasn't looking forward to more traffic either.

I passed out in the car and woke up at our cabin in Lake Tahoe! Apparently there was no more traffic after I relinquished the keys. Awesome.

Anthony, Kenny, Alice, and I pound a Pabst Blue Ribbon and head to sleep. Now we are ready for Tahoe. The next day, we conquer this! Kirkwood Mountain, prepare to meet your maker!


Lake Tahoe. View from Kirkwood Mountain.

Cabins at the Lake Tahoe Ski Resorts (Heavenly, Kirkwood) can run you upwards of $1100+ for a whole weekend. If you drive about 30 - 45 minutes away, cabin prices decrease substantially to around the $600 range. Our cabin came equipped with 3 full beds, 3 twin sized, a fooze ball table, full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, board games galore, and a hot tub! This was a start to a great weekend.

One last thing, sleeping in the same room with people who snore loudly really blows. Kenny and Anthony kept Cynthia, Alice, and I up till 4am. We woke up at 6am the next morning. Do not get in the way of grumpy people!

1 comment:

marne said...

are you living in California now?!?!